Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Shaping

This afternoon I was able to get into the shop and accomplish some work. The straight Belge is now ready to have its stem fitted and the shaping of the stem done and then the finishing.

The deeply bent hook-shaped pipe is halfway through intermediate shaping. The outside contour of the stummel is done, but I decided to wait until morning to do the shank/bowl transition because I am not yet sure how it should look.

Working from the block's grain to a basic shape, then from there to a more refined shape, and finally to a finished pipe is a true joy for me. Unfortunately I tend to lose my enthusiasm for going into the shop when I feel that I am making pipes simply to make them.

Perhaps tomorrow things will look less bleak to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home