Friday, June 30, 2006

Finger, finger, wherefore art thou?

Today I finished pre-shaping the last of the 3 blocks, and bored the set. Almost lost the end of my right index finger to the inverted router... it seems I was putting pressure in a direction I was unaware of, and when I reached the end of the block my finger went for the bit. Took off about 1/16" of fingernail and a couple layers of skin, but didn't draw blood. Lesson learned, be very careful.

Started turning the mortise inserts so I could epoxy the batch and get on with things, and ran into a problem. I haven't yet figured out exactly what is causing it.

I use a 3/16" brass tenon, and the drill that I use is a 3/16" bit that I've reduced in diameter slightly to give just the right fit, and converted to end-cutting to give a flat bottom to the mortise for good seating. The problem is that the hole it's making is too large. It could be a number of things including heat-expansion of the polycarbonate during drilling.

I may have to reduce it in diameter a tad more, I'll figure it out in the morning.

This could be my last blog post for a while, it's starting to feel obligatory and I'm dead set against anything obligatory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home