Sunday, June 25, 2006

Finishing #91

All of yesterday was taken up by sanding and staining the bowl of #91 at 4 grit-levels, since the first 2 levels were done the afternoon before. Today I hope to complete it, which involves the last grit-level of sanding, then polishing the bowl and stem. And the photographs of course, which must be cleaned up by hand before they are fit to display. Then there is my wife's computer, which is either infected with a virus or having hardware problems and needs to be set right before the photos can be cleaned up. With luck, #91 could be offered on Monday.


Some would call this an insane level of effort for a tobacco pipe. I would tend to agree. But briar is a funny substance.


Certainly you can use a belt sander or a disk sander to quicken the process. I find that mechanical sanding devices introduce a couple of additional variables to the process however, a level of uncertainty, to which I am unwilling to submit.


I have spent obscene amounts of time trying to make my carving process more certain, the results more uniform, and of a quality level in which I can take pride.


Anyway back to briar. What I find is that if the wood has average grain, it takes a good bit of effort to bring out its nuances and make it look its best. And if the wood has excellent grain, it takes a good bit of effort to bring out every detail and make it look its best. In other words, finishing takes a good bit of effort.


Luckily it is not onerous effort, it is more akin to opening a surprise package with many layers of wrapping. As one progresses, the object within becomes more and more clear, until finally... there it is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home