Thursday, June 29, 2006

The last paper towel

Things went well in the shop today. I managed to use the inverted router and my Foredom to pre-shape the second of 3 blocks for boring.

It seems to take much longer without the bandsaw. But I am not sure that it does overall. I am doing more shaping of the pipe's outer profile at this stage, which gives better insight to the grain, and it is work that must be done later in any case. Sandpits can be taken out without risking a predetermined shape since none has been set yet. And shaping the outer profile first gives the possibility of a more precise bore in better alignment with the pipe.

Also my nature is to be a slapdash craftsman, the precision found in my work is not a result of my innate nature so much as it comes from concentration and discipline; and I find that the more I have put into a pipe early on, the easier it is to continue putting only the best into it.

In a few days a trip to the city will be unavoidable, and I have hopes of picking up some bandsaw blades if finances permit. But at this point I do not expect that I will use the bandsaw in the same ways that I have in the past. I would almost prefer to purchase a more agressive cutter that I can use with the inverted router, something that would give speed in addition to precision.

After cleaning up most of the briar dust from the shop floor, I performed the dreaded Foredom shaft lubrication ritual. The manual says to do it every 50 hours of use, but I tend to put it off as long as possible. When the flex-shaft begins heating up while I'm working, it's time and it cannot be put off. It is an invitation to cover yourself with grease, since the sheath has to be removed and the inner cable lubricated it's like a greasy snake when you put it back together.

I grabbed a paper towel to wipe the grease with, and noticed that there is only one more on the roll, so I put it back -- I'll need it for use as alcohol wipes during staining. I grabbed a rag instead, I have a small pile of them. The reason I find this of interest is that I never experienced poverty before becoming a pipe carver, and life takes on a very different set of priorities. Poverty is not only the bad things, it also has some marvelous aspects. When one is affluent, things are easy and life is guaranteed. When one is poor, things are more difficult in many ways, but the miraculous becomes visible because it is a part of survival. I can't say that I'd recommend poverty, but it is certainly a thorough teacher of some things that affluence prevents us from seeing. Perhaps that is why many great spiritual teachers of the past have recommend a life of poverty, it removes the blinders of affluence to the miraculous.

In any case if things go as they should tomorrow, I'll be able to pre-shape the final block of the set then get on to boring. With the outer profiles of the pipes already established, rough shaping should go much faster than it has previously.

This is my first experience with blogging, and there are things that perhaps I should know that I don't. I don't want it to be a place to post photographs, in part because my camera makes obtaining a single photograph an hour's time spent, but mostly because I'd prefer it to be about the emotional/spiritual aspects of the workshop. The spiritual aspects of the craft are what makes it something other than just a job, what makes it worth doing instead of a daily drudge.

When pipemaking is a rich man's hobby it is one thing. When carving is a poor man's bread it is something different. At times one realizes that he is in the process of making a thing of beauty for its own sake.

I have not yet discovered any way to get blogger to tell me how many times posts have been viewed, if there is anyone actually reading this thing, and if you know of a way to find out how many times posts are viewed, I would appreciate knowing that.

Onward and, hopefully, forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home