Monday, June 26, 2006

One step forward...

Pipe 91 was completed yesterday, and it turned out nicely. It's a lightweight, 31gm for a 6-1/4" pipe is what I'd call light. Slightly bent, Belge shaped bowl, canted a bit forard. Fascinating grain, lots of swirlies to get lost in. Rusticated shank. Nice thin bit at .132" (3.37mm for metric folks), nice open airway.

Took the photos, and did the initial cropping and color evening and moved the images to a floppy disk for my wife to clean up.

Then spent the rest of the day trying to make her computer work.

It's a Dell laptop. When we came up here 3 years ago we had my Sony laptop (which cost me an arm and a leg but has proven worth every penny), and her Dell laptop, and my Dell development laptop.

Her Dell laptop toasted itself some number of months ago, apparently the graphics card fizzled itself to death because the screen went bazonkers and it became useless.

So we moved her onto my Dell development laptop. It's an old one, that I paid $50 for then another $20 for a new backlight part when I then managed to get working in it. I had planned to use it to learn Linux. So it goes.

Now her current Dell is somewhere between sick and dead. Several hours with a screwdriver yesterday found an intermittent short between the keyboard and the motherboard, or whatever that thing is. But it still isn't working right. You'll be working along and then it'll start typing characters and beeping and there you go.

So today I have several projects. The first will be to get the vital data off her system. The second will be to zero her hard drive and attempt to put some software on it so she can edit the pictures of #91. I have the sinking feeling that I'll spend most of the day doing this software restoration then find out that the problem remains hiding someplace in the hardware.

I think that I will never buy another Dell computer if I ever have the money to think about buying computers. I've been amazed at some of the cheap manufacturing they use. I'm sure their CEO is happy with the profits.

Of course I could let her use my Sony to clean up the pictures. But is it a matter of Dell making cheap computers, or does she have the magic fingers of computer death somehow? If my Sony goes belly-up we are screwed.

Somehow it will figure itself out. Assuming that it does, I'll start on the next batch of 3 pipes this afternoon, hopefully I'll have time to get them bored and epoxied and set aside to cure up for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home