Saturday, July 15, 2006

Blackwood Belge

I've been up for an hour or two this morning. Things do seem different somehow this morning.

I suspect that later this morning I'll see about fitting a stem to the Belge stummel and completing it as a Blackwood. I hate to rusticate away fine grain, and the Belge seems to have very nice grain, but twenty thousandths of an inch pushes it past what I am trying to achieve for the Random line.

There are some advantages to the Blackwood stem finish. First, it doesn't pick up fingerprints. That's one of the things I personally find irritating about smooth and shiny stems, they seem always to be covered with fingerprints. Another advantage to the Blackwood stem finish is that if one chews holes in it, the stem can be repaired readily without the need for a replacement. As for it collecting dirt, a couple swipes with a toothbrush takes care of most of that, and it can be popped into the dishwasher along with the silverware, polycarbonate has a continuous use temperature of 250F which is well above boiling water.

In any case, I think that I'll get back to the shop today. Hopefully well before the insulation I put into the van last fall to help with winter cold makes it unbearably hot.

Oh, I've returned pipe #87 to availability in the store. The friend to whom I offered it never got back to me, I suspect that knowing my financial situation he's going to stay mum on it. Perhaps someone will like it, I don't think that I'll use the wraparound shank technique any more, a longer stem is probably preferrable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home