Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Guillaume's comment

"You do not discourage. All people whom I know which has one or of the pipes of you are charmed by it. I would like to buy this Blackwood, but my banker will not agree, the period is not easy. Good courage. Guillaume"

Thank you for the encouragement, Guillaume.

I received an email this morning that said "Do not stop the manufacture of pipes, you are one of best." I appreciate the sentiment expressed, but I am only the best that I can be, I try not to measure myself against my colleagues. It does not matter; when the gasoline is gone, it is gone.

It is a thing I have thought about much.  It seems that mostly people buy pipes for the way they look and pray that the pipe which has stolen their heart will be a good smoker.  Americans seem to buy whatever is touted by authorities.  I do not understand people, I will probably never understand people.

What I understand is that in a few days it will be the end.  I see no purpose in spending the few days remaining making pipes to sit unsmoked.   For over three years family has come to our aid again and again.  I can ask them for no more help.

But slowly I learn.  There have been people who asked for a less expensive line of pipes, what they really wanted is free pipes.  Even at $400 plus per pipe I am barely covering expenses if every pipe offered sells immediately.

The pipe making business seems evolved to favor those who happily make 6 pipes a day and then grade them by the luck of their results.  I think that I have been insane not to leave it to them.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home